Plan your route before you arrive! Don't wait until landing at the airport to try and find your way to the meet-up location for your program. If possible, travel in a group with other students going to the same location.
- Research budget airlines in your host region before you leave.
- For a better deal, be flexible and look for standbys.
- Be conscious of weight restrictions for luggage.
- Plan to arrive at the airport early.
- Airline Fees: The Ultimate Guide
- Know whether it is a direct bus route or one that makes frequent stops.
- Know whether there is security on the bus, such as a guard and a bag check.
- Know the different classes of buses so you can weigh the options of prices and levels of comfort.
- Check if there are bathrooms on the bus.
- For security, try to sit toward the front of the bus and the driver.
- While buses are slower than trains or planes, it might be worth the cost discount and the opportunity to slowly see more of the country.
- Always inquire about a student discount.
- Start off traveling short distances and then add to your plans.
- Rate the benefits of the Inter-city train vs. regional train. For example, regional trains make more stops and are slower.
- Plan to use overnight train cars and sleep on the train if you're travelling a long distance.