Skip to Content


  • Loading...

View All

What are export controls?

  • Export controls are U.S. laws and regulations that govern the export of strategically important technology, services and information, including equipment and technology used in research, for reasons of foreign policy and national security.
  • The Export Administration Regulations and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations are the bodies of regulations most likely to affect research institutions.
  • Additionally, the U.S. government, through the Office of Foreign Assets Control regulations, maintains boycotts and embargoes of certain countries that can affect many of the activities and financial transactions that take place in an academic institution.

How do export controls affect my study abroad program at UTSA?

  • Travel to most countries does not usually constitute an export control problem.
  • However, any export of technology, even temporarily, is subject to U.S. export control regulations and, in some cases, the host country’s import regulations. This can apply even to laptops and other widely available technologies. Additionally, certain entities have been placed on “restricted-party” lists that could prohibit us from doing business with them.
  • The UTSA Office of Export Control has a website devoted to the forms, procedures and resources that you will need for your international activities.

What do I need to do before leaving on a study abroad program?

  • Ensure that your destination is not subject to a boycott or embargo (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, etc.). If it is, licenses must be obtained and additional restrictions could apply to the program – start early!
  • If UTSA is entering into an agreement or contract with a foreign entity in conjunction with your study abroad program, restricted party screening will be run prior to entering the agreement or contract to ensure that the entity does not appear on any restricted-party list.
  • If UTSA property (laptops, PDAs, etc.) is being exported during the study abroad, follow the normal procedure for clearing it through the ORI office.
  • If the study abroad involves conducting or collaborating on research abroad, or the students and/or faculty are planning to take potentially export-controlled research with them, contact the ORI office.

Where can I get help with an export control question at UTSA?